Wednesday, September 3, 2014

No Java EE Configuration JSR for EE 8

No Java EE Configuration for EE8

Dear all

I apologize to have really disappointing news about the configuration JSR. Though we had basically setup everything, and I was really working hard to get the config JSR up and running, no suitable agreement on the long term support for the TCK/RI could finally be found. Also my last trials to find alternative ways/partners was not successful. Since Credit Suisse is not able/willing to lead such an important JSR on its own, I must inform you that, if not something significant happens, there will be NO CONFIGURATION JSR. 

I am personally very disappointed on that and also think that a good chance to improve our Java EE eco-system will be missed.

I will still try to push forward the topic, but since my current employer does not support OSS projects outside of the JCP, I will not be able to contribute any code in the next time.

If you have any questions you still may get in contact with me, or talk to me at JavaOne.

Cheers,
Anatole

4 comments:

  1. Very disappointing news! I was so looking forward to having a standard configuration mechanism in Java EE 8 :(. Anyways, I've been having some discussions with friends about what should a good configuration API provide. Here's what I've gathered so far (i.e., a wishlist of features for such an API):

    * Mandatory default values
    * Discoverability
    * Overridability with clear precedence
    * Compartmentalization (i.e., overriding via -D won't work)
    * Security (i.e., should be able to specify passwords etc. in a secure manner)
    * Reconfigurability (i.e., ability to change config without having to restart app)
    * Strongly typed API
    * Pluggable property sources
    * Environment and / or profile support?

    These are just some rough ideas that need brainstorming, determining scope and what not. I've some time I can spare for this effort and I can commit to working on it and seeing it through completion. Would you be willing to provide vision and technical leadership? We can setup a GitHub repo, get in touch and get it rolling. I understand you won't be able to contribute any code and that's fine.

    Let me know what you think. My twitter handle is @ehsanullahjan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.

    Java Online Training Java EE Online Training Java EE Online Training Java 8 online training Java 8 online training

    Java Online Training from India Java Online Training from India Core Java Training Online Core Java Training Online Java Training InstitutesJava Training Institutes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read your blog its very attractive and impressive. I like it your blog.

    Java Online Training Java EE Online Training Java EE Online Training Java 8 online training Java 8 online training

    Java Online Training from India Java Online Training from India Core Java Training Online Core Java Training Online Java Training InstitutesJava Training Institutes

    ReplyDelete